October 13-15, 2017
Troop 1 is headed to the Roan Mountain area on the North Carolina and Tennessee border for an early fall backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. Anyone who backpacks or hikes on the AT will discover a place that inspires awe through natural wonders. You’ll never experience the same mountain twice: today you might come face-to-face with an owl, another day you may see rare wildflowers in bloom. There’s nowhere else on Earth that you can enjoy such a variety of mountain life in one amazing place.
Our destination Friday afternoon will be Carver’s Gap where we will begin our trek backpacking a mile in to spend Friday night. After breakfast Saturday morning we will then pack over to the overnight shelter at Yellow Mountain Gap taking us over the spectacular Grassy Ridge Bald. On Sunday we will return back over the bald to our beginning point.
There will be $20 charge for this trip. The troop will be providing dinner Friday (Chic-Filet bag supper on the bus so you may want to bring a snack for later) and a lunch stop on the way home Sunday. Scouts will need to provide their own breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.
Please register ASAP. We will meet at 3:30 Friday at the scout hut and depart in the church bus promptly by 4:00 planning to return to the scout hut around 2:00PM on Sunday.
You will need your own backpacking stove and method of purifying water or make arrangements to use someone else’s.
- Good hiking boots and socks
- Light weight stove (or make arrangements to share)
- Rain gear
- Back Pack and Pack cover
- Layer your outer ware. Synthetics next to your skin to wick
- Gloves and warm head gear
- Camera (optional)
- Sleeping bag (Even though it is September, plan for much cooler nights than Spartanburg)
- Water Bottle (Have at least 2 quarts – a Gatorade bottles will work)
- Lightweight shelter (Scouts should share and plan in advance).
- Water filter or tablets (may share, make arrangements in advance Be prepared for areas where suitable water will not be found by having at least 2 quarts of water with you)
- Food (Saturday Breakfast, Lunch, and Sunday Breakfast)
- Sleeping pad (optional)
- Flash light
- Bio degradable soap (cleaning dishes, may get at WalMart)
- Toiletries, TP
- Fire starter (not everyone needs this)