Shining Rock Wilderness, NC
March 13-15, 2020
Troop 1 is headed to the Shining Rock wilderness area the weekend of March 13-15. This is a great area for hiking and backpacking.
View the photos from our 2014 trip on SmugMug
We will be base camping at the Graveyard Fields right off of the Blue Ridge Parkway on Friday and Saturday night. On Saturday morning we will travel to the Art Loeb trail head and hike about a 12 mile round trip to Shining Rock where you will have the opportunity to take in views that are out of this world. We will have a picnic lunch on top of the Shining Rock
You will need your own backpacking stove and method of purifying water or make arrangements to use someone else’s. You will be responsible for your own food for all meals on Saturday and a quick snack Sunday morning. We will stop for supper Friday night en route and also for something Sunday morning which the troop will cover. Remember that synthetic clothing is always better than cotton on a fall backpacking trip.
Base camp will be fairly close (< 1/2 mile) to the parking area and a backpack would be very helpful but not absolutely required. If you have not made that purchase we can try to find you a loaner. You will also need a day pack (book bag type) for the hike on Saturday to carry your lunch, water, and clothing layers.
We will plan to leave the scout hut Friday at 4:00 traveling by church bus. We should return to the scout hut on Sunday about noon. Please register for this trip by the March 10th scout meeting. There will be a $20 fee for everyone.
- Good hiking shoes and socks
- Light weight stove (or make arrangements to share)
- Rain gear
- Day Pack for the hike to hold your lunch, water, raingear, etc.
- Layer your outer ware
- Gloves and warm head gear
- Camera (optional)
- Warm sleeping bag
- Water Bottle
- Lightweight shelter (Scouts should share and plan in advance)
- Water filter (may share, make arrangements in advance)
- Sleeping pad (optional)
- Flash light
- Bio-degradable soap (cleaning dishes, may get at WalMart)
- Toiletries, TP
- Fire starter (not everyone needs this)
- Saturday breakfast- instant grits or oatmeal, breakfast bar, hot chocolate (Plan on heating water with your backpacking stove.)
- Saturday lunch- trail mix or jerky. Tuna wrap, Candy bar, and fruit.
- Saturday Supper- Jerky or country ham to be boiled, instant mash potatoes, dehydrated soup, ramen noodles. Freeze dried entrée.
- Sunday Morning- Something quick and easy like pop-tarts to tide you over till we stop for something bigger and better on the way home.